Flyers are one of the most cost-effective types of advertising for a small business. This type of advertising has a terrific return on investment because, unlike other forms of advertising, people can keep the flyer until they are ready to use your product or service.
Advertisements in newspapers, on the radio, and even on the Internet will generate some business, but the ads are often quickly forgotten. Flyers, however, can be easily saved and provide a constant reminder of your business to the potential client.
The following five places are perfect for distributing flyers:
1. Local events and fairs. You will be amazed at the response you will receive when you hand out flyers at a local event. People are more willing to respond to a company they believe is involved in the community, than to a company that is not familiar to them. Handing out fliers also “puts a face” with your business, giving your advertising a more personal touch.
2. Circulate in local newspapers. Many of the smaller newspapers or classified ad papers will allow you to circulate your flyers in their paper for a small fee. These small papers reach a very large number of people, and you can often target the exact area you wish to promote your business.
3. Going door to door. While this is an old-fashioned form of advertising, leaving flyers on the doors of local residents is a great way to spread the news about your business and meet people in the area. Remember: Do not put flyers in mail boxes, this is a federal offense.
4. Private newsletters. Much like the local newspaper idea, you can have your flyer stuffed into local newsletters to reach specific groups of people. Most non-profit organizations have monthly newsletters, as do trade unions and religious organizations.
5. Charity events. Supporting a local charity event will provide you with name recognition for your business and the perfect opportunity to distribute flyers to the participants in the event. Most charity events will allow sponsors to set up a booth or stand to distribute literature or free samples at their events.